Saturday, July 3, 2010

First vacation

Two weeks ago, we were able to go to Rosemary Beach, Florida with my parents, brother and sister. Some friends of my parents have a beautiful home there and graciously invited us to go visit for a week. Thanks, Steve and Ann! I was able to go a couple of years ago, but Brack had to stay home then because of classes. It was wonderful to have Brack along this time and, of course, bring Benton on his first beach vacation.

Benton did great at the beach. He slept like a baby on the sand most days and even braved the ocean a few times. His favorite part, by far, was the pool. We weren't sure how he would feel about the water but he loved it. It didn't hurt that the water was super warm and we usually went to the pool in the late afternoon when there was lots of shade from the sun.

We were so proud of how easy-going Benton was on this trip. With so much time in the sun, lots of eating out, and later than normal bedtimes, he could have been a disaster. But he was a trooper and behaved so well. He slept amazing every night: 9-10 hours straight! 

There were a couple of crazy moments. We went to eat at Fudpucker's in Destin one night. Right before our food came, the staff decided to have a contest to give away a dessert. One of the waiters came out to the floor and explained that whoever yelled the loudest would win. Well, the place got real loud real quick and Benton, who was starting to fall asleep, was startled to say the least. He cried more than I've ever heard him cry and Brack had to take him outside. My dad and Brack both filled out comment cards at the end of our meal and pointed out that it may not be the most family-friendly game. (You know Brack's comments were full of sarcasm.) Yesterday, we got a nice apology letter in the mail from the manager, along with a gift certificate. Hopefully, they'll check their dining room before that contest next time!

That same night we played miniature golf. It was super crowded and we had to wait awhile between each hole. Since we weren't planning for it to take as long as it did, about halfway through the course it was time for Benton to eat. There aren't any benches or chairs on a putt-putt course, so I hopped the line to go feed him in the car (in the air-conditioning!). When we got back, I had only missed two holes. We were all pretty sweaty by the end of that game.

Benton had two parents, two grandparents, an aunt and an uncle to take care of his every need on this trip. A big thank you go to Mom, Dad, Brooke and Jesse for their help. They worked hard at spoiling our baby.

Here's a few more pictures of our amazing vacation:


  1. WHAT?! No speedo?

  2. Thanks for sharing ....I look forward to reading how your family is doing :-) . Baby Benton has grown so much !