Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Meeting With OHSU

We were back at OHSU today. Another MRI, another blood draw and another appointment with the neuro-oncologist. I was able to navigate to and around OHSU today without any map or GPS assistance (we forgot the phone) which was a minor miracle. The neuro-oncologist was very brief today. He held both of Jordan's hands looked us both in the eye and shared that Jordan's tumor is growing despite the intense treatment. The doctor then shared that it is time to stop treatment. Stop treatment. Two words that didn't even begin to shock Jordan or myself in the moment. The doctor also shared that based on Jordan's diagnosis that she has between two and three months left to live. I asked a few awkward questions but mostly we just sat in silence. The doctors sat in silence. After some more awkward silence, I asked if we could have the room to ourselves for a bit before we left. The team said their goodbyes and moved on to their next appointment. I think they were waiting for some kind of crazy reaction from us. It never came. Like true professionals, we waited until they left before breaking down.

It felt weird to hear something said aloud that Jordan and I have been bracing for. Something that has lingered around in my head at night when I couldn't sleep or crept out from the shadows of the orchards when I am out running. It was hard to speak the phrase "stop treatment" and the word "hospice" out loud. But today I've spoken it several times. Sometimes while avoiding eye contact with friends that were present but mostly just awkwardly over the phone. My presentation was lacking and the responses were varied. Some shock, some tears, some deflection and lots of questions. Mostly you could hear that people didn't know what to say. It's ok. No one knows what to say lately. Including us.

Brack

11 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this, even though we all knew it was possible. I have been praying nightly for God to grant a special miracle of complete healing. for you both and all the family, but also as a public witness to God's mercy and power for all including non believers, and if it was not to be for all to know through your Faithful example of being a true disciple of Christ through the suffering. Will continue. ☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful for these updates, Brack, as I know so many others are.

    And I wish I knew what to say...

    I think of you every day, Jordan. My prayers continue. Hugs from BerryLand!

    - Wendy Dahlgren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every prayer, positive thought, healing energy, love + light, is being sent to you from the deepest part of my being- to you. We are holding space in our hearts for you - with an outpouring of love for your beautiful family. May you find peace in this love that envelopes you, and moves through and between you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Throughout this Journey The Lord has his eyes upon you. He sees the strength you don't realize you have. Because he is your Lord Jesus Christ. He can do all things. I asked him about healing once and how I didn't understand how we pray for one and they get healed and another doesn't. He just simply replied I'm going to make changes in your lifethat you won't understand. I then found myself in a fight for my life. He was gracious enough to sar my life. But I never asked that question again because I simply understood that he is God and he is in control even when it doesn't loom like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Brack, for including us in your life. I am sending my love and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peace, peace, peace for all The Hassells. May you be filled with it, love and light. May we know how to help you feel that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please read Joseph princes book on communion.
    Praying for complete healing miracle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear this brother! I'm praying for you guys daily. If you need anything i'm here.
    With Love,
    Daniel bray

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO SO SO sorry to hear this update. Jordan is a phenomenal person and none of you deserve this outcome. Sending love and light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers that you all are lifted above this and sustained as only Jesus can do. With love, LLB

    ReplyDelete
  11. No one knows what to say and no one knows what or how you are feeling or handling this...,
    except one ☝️, He knows & He cares..., 1Peter 5:7
    You are not alone Praying 🙏 for you all!

    ReplyDelete